I’m the guy who has NEVER (no lie) set his FaceBook “status” because I didn’t want all my friends knowing where I was or what I was doing 24 hours a day. As far as I could tell, Twitter was just like a stand-alone verion of the FaceBook “status” functionality.
Lately I’ve started to realize that Twitter can be an incredibly powerful internet marketing tool. I also feel bad for people who want to use it for its original intention (micro-blogging), but are being bombarded by IM-centric messages and users.
Here’s why I think it can be such a useful marketing tool:
Finding people with similar interests
- The search functionality is great for finding other users with similar interests
- If you have a site centered around a specific niche (say iPod Nanos), it’s easy to find other people with the same interests
- Simply follow someone and there’s a good chance they’ll follow you back
Learning about your niche
- If you aren’t sure about something, just Tweet and ask a question; there’s a good chance you’ll get a response
Promoting products & getting TRAFFIC
- This is probably the best part of Twitter…for people doing IM
- If you just wrote an article on your site with an affiliate link, simply send a Tweet to your followers with the URL to let them know
- Most likely you’ll see immediate traffic (depending on your methods for tracking traffic)
- If you have hundreds or even thousands of followers, your web server better be able to handle it! 😉