Recently one of my non-computer-savvy family members asked me about this. I knew that a few months ago it wasn’t even possible. With the Gmail Labs there was an option to set a “canned response” which included a font type/color/size. But this was sorta of a PITA way to set a default font to be used in ALL emails.
Apparently in late December 2009 Google heard the complaints and finally created a Lab feature that allows us to set a Default Font. Woot!
Here’s some instructions:
- Click the green lab beaker in the top right (or go here https://mail.google.com/mail/?shva=1#settings/labs)
- Scroll down about 2/3 until you find Default Text Styling (or CTRL-F to search for it)
- Click Enable
- Scroll up to the top
- Click Save Changes
- Click the General Settings tab at the top (or go here https://mail.google.com/mail/?shva=1#settings)
- Set your Default text style about half-way down
- Click Save Changes at the bottom
Now marvel at how with this time-saving hack Gmail became even more awesome 🙂